A Warm Welcome to You...

Writing...

Welcome to my blog.

With you visiting here, we have something in common! Maybe as a prospecting client, a newbie writer, an old trusted friend, a fellow writer, a previous client perhaps or simply just as a reader. The fact remain we are all bound by one simple act - writing - the oldest way of evidential communication.

Enjoy your visit, join as a member and feel free to leave your comment or just share in our hospitality.

It is good to have you here, welcome.

~ SA Professional~

Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Importance of Character

Character – How Important Is Character it in the Freelance Writing World?

Being a Christian, it is important to me to start my day in the presence of the Lord and request His guidance for the day ahead. This morning I received this daily devotional on character…

After a few moments chewing on this thought, I could not help to think how a freelance writers’ and article buyers’ character reflects in their dealings.

What made me think was this story of George Jones. I did not know about George Jones before today, simply because I am a South African and not really into the American printed media and even less the history thereof, however, the story of George Jones gave me hope to act in good faith and let the bad characters in the freelance writing world just pass by.

I learned that George Jones started his career as a humble clerk in a supermarket. He soon gained a firm reputation of being someone with commendable work ethics and being a perfect example of Proverbs 12:22; “False lips are hated by the Lord, but those whose acts are true are his delight.”

Due to this commendable character of George Jones, a very famous journalist at that time, Henry Raymond, was so impressed with George character that they became good friends. This friendship resulted in one of the greatest business partnerships of all times! The New York Times.

Years after the birth of The New York Times, George received a bribe offer of £500 000 to retire and relocate to Europe, because of the firm stand the paper took against the gangster Boss Tweed. This was in an extreme amount in the late 1800’s! Even today one would smile if your bank account carried that type of balance!

George declined the offer even after he was reminded that he could live like a prince until the day he dies with the remark: “Yes, but I should know that I was a rascal. I can not consider your offer…”

This just once more reminded me that nothing is so important than your character. Regardless of how rich or how poor you are, how successful your life may or may not be, what you achieve in life or did not achieve, once you have lost your character, you have lost everything.

Next time that thought of “who will know” comes to mind, just remember – You will know!

I have to live with myself and so,
I want to be fit for myself to know.
I want to be able as days go by,
always to look myself in the eye.

I don’t want to stand in the setting sun
and hate myself for the things I’ve done.
I don’t want to keep on a closet shelf,
a lot of secrets about myself;

and fool myself as I come and go,
into thinking nobody else will know –
the kind of man I really am.

~Author Unknown~

No comments:

Post a Comment