A Warm Welcome to You...

Writing...

Welcome to my blog.

With you visiting here, we have something in common! Maybe as a prospecting client, a newbie writer, an old trusted friend, a fellow writer, a previous client perhaps or simply just as a reader. The fact remain we are all bound by one simple act - writing - the oldest way of evidential communication.

Enjoy your visit, join as a member and feel free to leave your comment or just share in our hospitality.

It is good to have you here, welcome.

~ SA Professional~

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Effect of Proper Formatting on Your Articles

 

I am still of the old school type that firmly believe that the type of work that I send off to my client is in large a reflection of myself. Unfortunately, looking at some of the assignments I receive at times, it seems that some people do not really care what others read or see in their work.


When it comes to that old saying about first impressions… That is very much applicable when it comes to presenting your writing work as well! If I open a website, and I am willing to bet on it you too, and it is all cramped up and disorderly I really do not feel like reading there anymore. I rather look for another site where it is well structured and easy to read. The same goes for when I open an article a writer send me. 


Formatting of your work is very important.
It is your job to ensure whoever might cast an eye on it must find it easy to read and have interest at first glance. The content might be absolutely brilliant, but if it is a cluttered, disorderly block of text, the reader will approach your thoughts with negativity before he even read a word.


Now you might ask, what is proper formatting of an article? It sounds much more complicated than it really is. A golden rule I always apply in all I do is to make it look the way I would have liked it to be if I would be the one reading it.

Formatting is about how the article looks even before you start reading it. It is not about the content thereof.
  • Structure your article properly with a proper heading and if needed sub-headings.
  • Divide your text in to paragraphs of about 3 to 4 sentences. Present every thought you want to convey with a separate paragraph.  
  • Separate each paragraph properly with a clear line in between.
  • Use proper punctuation.
  • Bold the headings and write it in title case letters. Headings are not supposed to be all in capitals. That is SHOUTING! and extremely rude.
  • If permitted, use a numbered or a bulleted list to create order.
Even though you may be very liberal and not part of the old school – some things never change and proper formatting of an article is one of those things.
~~~oOo~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment